Search

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Wedding dresses & Flamework

I don't believe in limits for art: what art can be, what it is, what is and isn't art... so here you may not be surprised that I sew on a regular basis and recently finished a hand painted wedding dress of dupioni silk.
Made from inspiration driven by the Wadada Movement, by African and Rasta roots, the modern bride, and use beyond a wedding setting, I created a piece for now Christine Harrell of Longmont, CO. Made from Dupioni silk and satin, embellished with hand-painted Ethiopian-inspired green/gold/red design down the seams of the dress, embroidered lines and ankh on the top, and embroidered lines on the golden veil.  In addition, I created a similar one piece dress for her daughter, Sekara. Same material, same Ethiopian design, yet a bit different and created for a young lady. Enjoy.

Christine Harrell's Wedding Dress and Daughter Sekara's Ceremony Dress J. Stoker 2011
Dupioni silk, satin, acrylic paint






Yesterday, my amazing husband set up a very early birthday present. For years I have wanted to learn how to work with glass. I received a taste of this experience. Thanks to Glasscraft in Golden, CO.
I learned a quick 4 hour introduction to hard glass and already my mind is swimming with the things I feel I can make with just the few techniques I learned.

I have to say, working with a new medium is liberating and I hope I can learn to do more. My thoughts have been filled with building a studio in my backyard to do flamework.
2 boro white leaves, 1 color leaf, 1 color and boro white tear drop pendent


Painting hasn't gone to the wayside by any means, I am taking his time to put aside the things I have learned in my undergrad and create my own thoughts, break my own rules and views as to how things must go.

No comments:

Post a Comment